Search engine optimization, commonly known as SEO, is the process of manipulating the visibility of a website or a web page in the unpaid (natural/organic) results of a web search engine such as google.
SEO- The Internet Essential
In the past few decades, the world of internet has seen a plethora of transformation where it has morphed into a fully competitive forum of online rivalry.With the world switching from offline to online businesses, the competition in the online domain is rising to an astonishing level. Not only businesses, but every single person among us is dependent upon the search engines be it for the purposes of college assignment, work related presentation or business ideas.
What is SEO?
SEO is a prevalent technique which is incorporated by website owners and online marketers in popularizing their websites and businesses. The abbreviation SEO stands for ‘search engine optimization’. Search engines are basically the software systems that are employed to look for information on the internet. Google, Ask.com, Yahoo, Bing etc. that we use all the time on our computers and phones, are all search engines.
Targets of SEO
When the websites are created and published, the website holders apply SEO techniques to optimize their web pages on the search engines. Chiefly, there are three goals of SEO:
- To attract the quality traffic: It means that the web page gets just the right population landing on it. For example, if the page is about Apple iPhonethen it brings the users who want information about the Apple computers company and about not the apples which are fruits. Imagine we’re looking for the benefits of eating an apple and we land on the Apple’s official website. It is regarded as bad SEO.
- To attract the quantity of quality traffic: SEO helps the quality traffic land on the website and at the same time it increases the quantity of that traffic by using various methods.
- To attract the organic traffic: When SEO gets the traffic landing on a web page without the owner having to pay for it, it is known as organic traffic. We generate organic traffic when the increased frequency of visits results from the search engines and not from the paid ads or pay per clicks (ppc) etc.
How Do Search Engines Operate?
The search engines have web crawlers that are programmed to extract all the information available on internet and create an index from it. When we’ve a question that we type in the search box, these crawlers using the indexand different kinds of algorithms bring out the search results related to our query.
How Are Search Engines Optimized?
There are some techniques that people use to let the search engines show their webpages on top of everything else. The first thing is content, which is what will be matched with the query typed in the search engine. Secondly, there are other things like internal links, meta-descriptions, titles and tags which play a vital role in SEO. In order to create websites as per the demand of most people, the keyword strategy is used. Keyword tools let us search the keywords that get the maximum search volume on search engines.
There are several other SEO-like strategies for instance; international SEO, conversion rate optimization (CRO), local SEO etc.
Facts about SEO:
- 25% of SEO is on-page and 75% is off-page.
- Content of the page is the most important element in SEO and the page title is the next most important on page element.
- Meta descriptions which are persuasive and under 155 characters help SEO.
- The top 5 results of the first page of a search engine get 75% of the clicks.
- Google+ is the social media which is the highest correlator for SEO ranking.